Current:Home > MarketsBrian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer' -Capitatum
Brian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 02:06:17
The parents of Brian Laundrie described the day "everything hit the fan" after their son called them to say his fiancee was "gone" weeks before the remains of Gabby Petito were discovered, according to newly released court documents.
Depositions from Laundrie’s parents, Christopher and Roberta Laundrie, were made public earlier this week ahead of the May trial in an emotional distress lawsuit filed by Petito's family. Petito's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, have accused the Laundries of knowing their 22-year-old daughter had been killed and are seeking at least $100,000 in damages.
The case of Gabby Petito gained national attention during the summer of 2021, sparking widespread speculation about her disappearance and whether Brian Laundrie had killed her. She went missing during a cross-country road trip with Laundrie, who returned from the trip without her.
After Petito's family reported her missing, her body was found in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming in Sept. 2021. Laundrie later was also reported missing and was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a nature reserve in southern Sarasota County, Florida, in October 2021.
Authorities said Laundrie admitted to killing Petito in a note found with his body. Her death was ruled a homicide by strangulation.
Since 2022, Petito’s family has been involved in a legal battle against Laundrie’s parents and his estate. In November 2022, the families reached a $3 million settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit which claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused Petito's death.
In November 2023, Petito's parents filed an amended civil complaint claiming pain and emotional distress due to Laundrie's parents withholding information regarding their daughter's death. The depositions released this week in the lawsuit detailed "frantic" phone calls between Laundrie and his parents as he told them he needed them to find a lawyer.
Gabby Petito was strangled:Experts say such an assault is a red flag for intimate partner homicides.
'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
In Roberta Laundrie’s deposition, she recalled a conversation between her and her son on Aug. 29, 2021. The two were catching up and Brian appeared to sound "fine, normal," according to the deposition.
But as the conversation concluded, Roberta Laundrie said "he all of a sudden completely changed and he sounded very upset."
“I didn’t want to push him, so we just said goodbye,” Roberta Laundrie said in the deposition, adding: "When I got off the phone, I told Chris, you know, 'Brian sounded upset. Maybe you should give him a call.'"
When asked what she thought Brian meant when he said "Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer," Roberta Laundrie said several possibilities had crossed her mind, including that the couple may have got into a fight, Brian had hit Petito and she was going to press charges against him.
Initially, Roberta Laundrie told the Petito family's attorneys that she "didn't know what to think" when questioned if she thought Petito was dead.
"I don't remember if that crossed my mind or if I just was so nervous I just thought he was in some kind of trouble," she said, but later admitted that "it probably went through my mind."
Gabby Petito case:Brian Laundrie's mom wrote him letter saying she would help 'dispose of a body'
Brian Laundrie sounded 'frantic' on phone call
When Christopher Laundrie called his son later, he told the Petito family's attorneys that "everything hit the fan."
"(Brian) was not calm... and told me things," Christopher Laundrie said in the deposition. "'Gabby's gone' and he got very frantic. Everything was frantic and quick."
Brian had repeatedly told his father that Petito was "gone” but never said he killed her, according to the deposition. Christopher Laundrie said his son had asked him for help and to find him an attorney.
“I asked him why. He wouldn’t tell me," he added.
At the time, Christopher Laundrie said he didn't believe his son killed Petito or that Petito was dead. "I had no idea what to think," he told attorneys.
Laundrie's parents never contacted Petito's family
Following the Aug. 29 phone call, Laundrie’s parents said they didn't attempt to contact Petito or her family and Roberta Laundrie said she didn't return calls from Schmidt.
"My attorney told me not to talk to anybody, so I just didn’t talk to anybody,” Roberta Laundrie said in the deposition. She added that the family was advised to keep Brian "close, kept him home and safe, and didn’t talk to him about anything and hoped for the best."
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (7734)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Trump or Biden? Investors are anxious about the 2024 election. Here's how to prepare
- Maryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris
- Dave Grohl's Sleek Wimbledon Look Will Have You Doing a Double Take
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Bob Menendez's defense rests without New Jersey senator testifying in bribery trial
- Democrats in Congress are torn between backing Biden for president and sounding the alarm
- GM fined nearly $146 million for excess emissions from 5.9 million vehicles
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- New Zealand tourist killed in robbery attempt at Southern California mall
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 2 drawing: Jackpot grows to $162 million
- Judge temporarily blocks Biden administration’s restoration of transgender health protections
- Britain’s top players at Wimbledon stick to tennis on UK election day
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Are Lana Del Rey and Quavo dating? They play lovers in new 'Tough' music video
- Judge temporarily blocks Biden administration’s restoration of transgender health protections
- How Vanessa Hudgens Celebrated Husband Cole Tucker's Birthday Hours Before Baby News
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Ellen DeGeneres cancels multiple shows on 2024 comedy tour
British nurse Lucy Letby, convicted of killing 7 babies, found guilty of another attempted murder
Federal judge sentences 4 anti-abortion activists for a 2021 Tennessee clinic blockade
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Why Takeru Kobayashi isn't at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
Minnesota prosecutor provides most detailed account yet of shooting deaths of 3 first responders
Jason Derulo Recalls Near-Death Experience After Breaking His Neck in the Gym